Monday, December 12, 2005

AP: Byrd Warns Frist Against 'Nuclear Option'

Go, Senator Byrd, go: "Sen. Robert Byrd of West Virginia said Monday he doesn't expect Democrats to filibuster the nomination of Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito, but he still chastised Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist for threatening to stop any such effort through a drastic parliamentary effort that has been dubbed the 'nuclear option.'

'If he ever tries to exercise that, he's going to see a real filibuster if I'm living and able to stand on my feet or sit in my seat,' Byrd said in a Senate debate with Frist, R-Tenn.

'If the senator wants a fight, let him try it,' said Byrd, the Senate's senior Democrat. 'I'm 88 years old, but I can still fight, and fight I will for freedom of speech. I haven't been here for 47 years to see that freedom of speech whittled away and undermined. '"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home